Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Government Shutdown and My Research for English Comp II



While I’m sitting here working on my research for supplements, I find that 1 October 2013 is not the day to be browsing on any government website.  Many of the links I click on come up with the apology statement, “…due to the government shutdown.”  This gets a bit frustrating when you are working on anything.  I will successfully finish my research, but it’s only a matter of time until the government has to get back up and running.  

Aside from my scholastic challenge, I have friends and family who are dealing with a much larger impact from this issue.  They are impacted by a furlough.  I was unaware of this, until I complained about my small research obstacle.  They are dealing with unpaid mandatory leave.  This is horrible.  I can’t imagine not knowing when my next day at work would be, let alone my next paycheck.  

The only positive thing I could think of, as a result of this mandatory time off, is spending it with family.  Yet, there is a problem.  We can’t go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, because they are also impacted by this cessation.  I heard about the tourists who paid for a trip to the Grand Canyon, but were denied access, because of this.  The domino effect is awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment