Thursday, November 7, 2013

What We Don't See

In their shoes...
  

   There once was a time in my life where my opinions were completely without consideration for others.  Yes, I know.  It's hard to believe.  Through 'trials and tribulations', I've found ways of opening up and allowing myself to see the world around me.  I thank that to my family, true friends, clients, students, and even people I have only met once.  Have you seen a person in need?  This need could be something as little as a pen or as big as a house.  Let's think about where we are, today.  I was able to wake up, underneath a warm and fluffy comforter with options ahead of me.  Which articles of clothing should be worn, today?  I am training clients and teaching classes.  I'll sweat, and need to shower and change.  Wait!  What about the ability to choose any soap purchased and stored in my 'surplus of hygienic items' closet?  How crazy does it sound to read that there are a minimum of seven tubes of tooth paste, and more than ten tooth brushes?  Let's not forget about the floss, bandages, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, and the list goes on.  Step into my kitchen.  I have fresh and frozen vegetables to select from.  There is also chicken or fish.  The number or herbs, spices, and sauces are unbelievable!  Yet, it is all too clear that some of these items can go to someone else who is without.  

   Step outside of your comfort zone.  Have you been to 'that part of town' where someone is wearing tattered clothing, in need of a shower, and unwilling to look you in the eyes?  I've seen different cultures and environments from the United States, South America, The Caribbean, and Asia.  Yes.  I have also passed judgment, in the past.  Could you imagine the many motives leading to an arrest?  The result of being arrested is jail time.  Did you know that there are people who commit crimes to get out of the 'weather'?  This weather may be the actual weather outside, or it could be a situation they are in.  The only way to escape the situation would be to go directly to jail.  They may not "pass GO and collect $200", but they will receive shelter, food, water, a new outfit, and maybe even a shower and medical attention. They may not know that there are options in life.  If they do, it may seem as though these options are merely dreams or figments of their imagination.  What about the guy on the corner, with a sign that states "ANYTHING WILL HELP"?  

   Today, I enter a major intersection halting to a red light.  Immediately, my eyes notice a middle aged man with this very sign, as mentioned above.  Thoughts are running through my head.  My hands begin to move in search of a granola bar.  There are only seconds allowing time to make contact with this individual to ensure he receives a bite to eat.  I'm guilty of thinking, "is this another guy that's trying to get cash for alcohol, drugs, or some other discretionary want?"  Overlooking this abrupt discussion in my mind, I wave this crunchy peanut butter granola bar package above the steering wheel to catch this man's attention.  He smiles as he swiftly walks my way.  Pressing the window button to roll down my window, I reciprocate the smile and hand the snack to him.  He grins and begins to walk back to the center of the median, as I control the window upward to close.  Almost instantly, he turns to me and begins to speak.  My window opens.  His words were, "I'm 54 years old and have bad teeth.  I can't eat this.  Thanks.  God bless."  I felt let down, but concerned.  How can he eat?  Not only was this crunchy, but there is a way to soften it up.  If one is truly hungry the steps would be by all means necessary, right?  Every morning, I eat oats and peanut butter in water for breakfast.  Then, there's a sudden thought that clouds my mind.  Does he even know there are options?  Does he think the only way to successfully eat a granola bar is with solid and strong teeth?  Should I object and educate him of the options available?  Before I could roll down the window, the light turned green.  The moment had ended.

   There is a psychological component.  It's not a statement of whether someone is what we would consider as crazy.  How about chemically imbalanced?  Our entire body is full of hormones.  When these hormones are off, the brain's thought process and responses may not connect as they should in a normal functioning body.  Should we judge these people?  There is no room to judge anyone.  I have passed judgment.  This is not admittance, but simply an acceptance for thoughts and actions from the past. 

   I want to help many people in avenues beyond personal training and fitness.  Behavioral changes are needed to cope and move forward when what is taking place is inefficient or unsuccessful.  Can one person help make a difference?  

   Imagine being in their shoes...  





No comments:

Post a Comment