Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Supplement and Rx Updates


   Walking into the doctor’s office for issues outside of being ill oddly seems relieving to some degree.  Unfortunately, expressing physical ailments due to an injury is not so comforting.  As the nurse opens the software to access my medical information, she communicates the need to confirm my current standings with all prescriptions and supplements previously entered into their database.  

   Now, allow me a moment to back track my thoughts here, and press rewind from this doctor’s appointment.  Briefly, I’ll discuss the reasons for taking these supplements.  They were what I thought to be, and many people taking them believe to be, natural and would provide the supposed nutrients I was lacking throughout my bikini competition preparation and everyday living needs.  After all, you attain the required nutrients in one, two, or even three quick pill-taking schedules, throughout the course of each day.  Well, let’s fast forward to this current semester of my college experience.  I have completed extensive research that was more than the required material necessary to successfully approach the subject of why supplements are not necessary.  I am fascinated with cause and effect.  The facts become an important factor into what I do with my life, as well as what I educate my clients and student with to help them better their knowledge on life and fitness.  As a result, I have removed all supplements from my daily intake.  

   So, let’s come back to the present moment.  The nurse begins reading the list of supplements that I had previously confessed to taking for health and fitness gains. Many people are unaware of the negative side effects of taking prescriptions and supplements.  Whether they’re mixing these or separating them between meals, the need to inform the medical staff of the prescribed or over-the-counter medications is vital.  She reads, “fish oil, flaxseed oil, choline and inositol, L-carnitine, vitamin B-12, etc.”  I respond, “Nope.  Go ahead and remove all supplements from the list.  I absolutely refuse to take any supplements.  My body can do fine without them.”  Yeah, I guess I could have come across as arrogant, but I’m holding firmly to my belief that I can attain the vitamins and minerals my body needs through consuming nutrient dense foods.  The nurse continues down the list, “One A Day® Women's”.  My response to that was, “You can delete that one, too.”  She paused and stated, “You need vitamins”.  I replied back, “There’s nothing I need from a bottle that natural whole foods can’t provide.  My body needs what the earth has to provide with less processing.”  This nurse has never met me, and seemed to be somewhat confused.  I can understand, as the average adult seems to believe that pills are the answer to what’s lacking in many areas of health.  Again, she returns to the monitor to review a few more listings.  She asks, “What about vitamin D?”  My reply, “I don’t need that, either.”  As she began with a rebuttal, I kindly interrupted her to state that “I spend plenty of time outside and focus on eating nutritious foods”.  Yes, I had to inform her that as a personal trainer and yoga instructor, I continue to conduct my own research to not only learn for myself or complete continuing education credits, but for my family, clients, and students as to the tools that will help me with my wellbeing, and theirs.  With a smile, she gladly removed all listed supplements from the list.  Shockingly, the screen shrunk from a full page to 4 prescriptions of what I consider minor, but necessary medicines.  That was a feeling of relief!

   Do you research supplements you plan to take, or are currently taking?   Are you aware of the pros and cons involved with taking those supplements?  How extensive was your research, and the research completed by those who published the findings?  Ask yourself why you can't get what you need from whole foods.  Could you make behavioral changes that will better impact your body and quality of life, and step away from taking supplements. 






No comments:

Post a Comment