Monday, October 7, 2013

Back to School



I'll get back to the Bikini Comp Prep in the future. 

The decision to go back to school has left me with a new dilemma.  I've found myself dealing with time management on a new level!  During this semester, my Blogging will work towards earning credit towards my journal entries for English Comp II.  Here goes!

Wednesday, 18 September 2013 What are your language pet peeves? 
  I have several that come to mind.  One of them is "skinny". This term is completely misunderstood!  Many women, and unfortunately girls starting at the elementary age are told to be skinny so that they can be aesthetically accepted.  There is confusion in how "skinny" impacts health.  Skinny is “so ‘80s”!  Beauty is does not last forever, and is seen in many ways.  It is not always superficial; it shines from within.  A more challenging position is to educate children and adults on nutrition and living an active lifestyle, along with mind and body awareness, through behavioral changes.  Gaining an understanding of why skinny is not the "in" thing, can help with many unnecessary procedures and product purchases.  Look at it as the beauty of life lies within ourselves.  We will become ill, grow old, and die.  During our time on this earth, we could focus more on what we can do to improve our inner soul.  "Mind and Body Connection" is the new "skinny". 
  Oriental is another one of my pet peeves.  Although it has been a long time since being called oriental, I remember the way it made me feel.  I am of Asian descent; my mother is from Thailand.  Those born in the 1950's and earlier tend to call Asians "Oriental".  Times are changing, as well as language and communication.  "Oriental" is more of a style of rug, art, clothing, or even dishes.  Asian represents ethnicity.  Let's call "Oriental" people as an "outdated term" for Asians, today.  
  There are more language pet peeves, but my time is up.  ¡Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment